THIS IS AN ANNOYING LOG-IN POP UP JUST FOR YOU
The Pathos of Distance

- Agile Minds in Perpetuum -

• Reply to topic

Ahem.......

Zoot Allures

Re: Ahem.......

Post by Zoot Allures on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:00 pm

i hate new forums. i'd much rather find an existing forum and take it over. it's so much easier.

i hope saully has some furniture to put in this place because i sure don't.

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:41 pm

should i create an ontology forum? i've always thought of ontology as metaphysics, though. i'll tell ya why. ontological questions can be handled by scientific inquiry if they pertain to some aspect of the nature of some being, thing or process... while metaphysics, according to the greeks anyway, is a study of what comes before or after this inquiry. the 'principles' underlying or resulting from these things and processes, rather than those things and processes themselves. see what i mean? like, what the hell IS ontology? i mean i know the etymology of the word, sure, ... i'm just trying to figure out what it does that metaphysics can't do.

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:28 pm

encode_decode

Post by encode_decode on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:26 pm

This is a bit different compared to what I am used to. I wanted to ask, what are the plans here at this forum?
Mitra-Sauwelios
Admin

Post by Mitra-Sauwelios on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:30 am

Zoot Allures wrote:should i create an ontology forum? i've always thought of ontology as metaphysics, though.  i'll tell ya why. ontological questions can be handled by scientific inquiry if they  pertain to some aspect of the nature of some being, thing or process... while metaphysics, according to the greeks anyway, is a study of what comes before or after this inquiry. the 'principles' underlying or resulting from these things and processes, rather than those things and processes themselves.  see what i mean? like, what the hell IS ontology? i mean i know the etymology of the word, sure, ... i'm just trying to figure out what it does that metaphysics can't do.

I think epistemology and ontology are traditionally both part of metaphysics. And where's the Logic forum? ;) Seriously though, maybe we should go back to before Aristotle categorised philosophy into disciplines. I mean, is the Physics/Ethics distinction really valid?...

You might also get some inspiration from this thread (copy/paste the link into your browser):

ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?p=2226013#p2226013

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:30 am

encode_decode wrote:I wanted to ask, what are the plans here at this forum?

to boldly go where no philosophers have gone before!

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:46 pm

MS wrote:I think epistemology and ontology are traditionally both part of metaphysics.

i'll buy that. i think epistemology was put under that rubric because they hadn't yet had any (or much) knowledge of physiology and neurology, so they couldn't explain the acquisition of knowledge in empirical terms. from bacon forward, scientific induction took off and made leaps and bounds in epistemology.

MS wrote:And where's the Logic forum?

everywhere, ollie, everywhere. it pervades all the forums and threads. it's like willy wonka's ever-lasting gobstopper. you can chew on it for a small eternity and it'll never lose it's flavor.

MS wrote:Seriously though, maybe we should go back to before Aristotle categorised philosophy into disciplines. I mean, is the Physics/Ethics distinction really valid?...

there is some dispute about the fact/value distinction, now that you mention it. sure, i'm down. i can make anything work. i used to be a card-carrying sophist, you know.

... and where's the VO crew, anyway? this is jakob's, urgod's and pedro's department, too. physics is value is physics.

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:12 pm

yo fixed cross! over here. * waves *

Fixed Cross wrote:Now, what law have you set, Zoot?

i don't have the power to set any laws, brocephus. my days of dreaming to become a platonic philosopher-king or guardian were ended when i experienced disillusionment... in juxtaposition to the acceptance that democracy, multiculturalism, cosmopolitanism, and globalism are inevitable.

i'm not sure i would even WANT to set laws if i were given that power, considering these circumstances. well wait... i would, but only if the bilderberg group and trilateral commission let me join their cliques. then i could pull strings from behind the scenes, put political puppets into place, and redirect mankind toward reestablishing a greatness.. or a new golden age.

but i'll tell ya something, brocephus. power comes from the barrel of a gun (to speak with the chairman mao), not a philosophy book. the age of philosophy books contributing to ideological reformations, are over. everything's already been written. philosophy professors and academics are just repeating what was already said, and putting their own insignificant spin on it. and dudes like you and me have our idols and want to follow in the footsteps of the great thinkers and make something happen. but ain't nuthin' happenin', brocephus.

one the best things about you that makes you so endearing is your innocent and pure naivety. i look at what you're doing and i tell myself i shouldn't touch it because its a beautiful thing, a beautiful attempt. you are a shining example of what nietzsche called being mature; to live with that seriousness a child has while at play.

i wish i could still do this, man. i wish i could still believe i can make a difference. but i can't help mankind, only myself. i live with faith in the eternal return, that's my religion, and i direct my efforts toward improving MYSELF. if i help somebody else while doing this, cool beans. that's a bonus.

now i'm gonna go wait for godot with iambiguous. i'll be around if you need me.

* sulks *

p.s. join the forum, dude. you too have a pathos of distance.

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:43 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:Philosophy is either the primordial crime that sets the fundamental law, or it is frolicking in front of a mirror.

let me tell you something, buddy. that's where you gotta start. you gotta look in that mirror first, fixed.

so i'm starting with the man in tha mirrah... and i'm asking him to change his ways... and no message coulda been any clearah... if you wanna make the world a bettah place, take a look atcha self, and then make a change.

yeah i said it.

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:47 pm

what does michael jackson and wal-mart have in common?

boys underwear, half off.

omg. that's just wrong.
encode_decode

Post by encode_decode on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:34 pm

In the interest of networking, I would like to place a link to my forum in here.

Would that be OK?

In return, I would recommend putting some links back to this forum on my forum.

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:17 pm

i don't see why not, unless your forum is cooler than mine... then all my members might leave. promise me you won't make your forum cooler than mine.

in addition to posting a link to your forum in a thread, you can put it in your sig box and/or list it as your website (go to your profile). a little hotlink world symbol will then appear below your user name (i think).
encode_decode

Post by encode_decode on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:36 pm

Ah, you are a legend. I have not pushed my forum - I have only invited a few people. Plus I am not happy with the host.

I tell you what - in the interest of having a bit more content on my forum and more links back to here - it would be cool to re-post some select posts from here with links back to here - if that makes sense - unless you are also intending on keeping a small community that is.

I really like the post about God particularly:

http://pathos-of-distance.forumotion.com/t4-is-god-mad#10

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:02 pm

no problem. i used to smuggle links from other sites all the time, and still do on occasion. so i have no issue with it. i doubt MS would have a problem with it, either. he's got links of his stuff all over the frickin' place. if you go to a philosophy forum, chances are he's been there. like this dude will link you to a post he made from like 1998 or something.

'really dude, you remember that post?'- zoot

'of course, it's from paragraph four, section three of the fifth outline of my Baudrillard and Aphrodite; Attempt at a Simulacra of Feminine Beauty.'- MS

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:40 pm

i like iambiguous from ILP. always have. he's like woody allen, richard rorty and albert camus rolled into one. i get a good laugh when he says stuff like this:

iambiguous wrote:For example, what on earth does this mean:

about this:

one of the VO crew wrote:Will to power wills will to power. VO only wills power. If you truly don't see the distinction, then I live in a much bigger world than you do. You may not care. That's fine. But, like you, many others for many millenia have been convincing people that there is only one power standard, one objective, one birth and death. An actual end.

now you have to imagine in your head, woody allen looking at that quote with a perplexing cringe and look of contempt on his face, then you'll know what i mean. i dunno, maybe ya'll don't see it, but this is funny shit to me.

partly because i understand how stuff like that quote can seem so ridiculous to a reader.

his problem is, he is absolutely unwilling, with the obstinance of a mule, to humor the person and at least pretend to understand it... or even just play along for a moment. even though he says he doesn't know what it means, he does know what it means... enough to be able to say something about it.
encode_decode

Post by encode_decode on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Zoot Allures wrote:i like iambiguous from ILP.
Yeah biggy is pretty cool - I once heard somebody say that he posts enough to keep ILP going.

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:27 pm

you called him 'biggy'. how strange. i had a theory once (and still might) that iambiguous is, in fact, a poster that went by 'biggy' at a yahoo philosophy group over a decade ago. i had just discovered philosophy forums and that was one of the first i ever joined. the administrator of the forum was a kantian lawyer (might of had a PhD), and most of the members were all philosophy majors or graduates. the discussions and debates at this forum were top rate; these guys didn't chat or banter around. these motherfuckers 'got it in', man. i've never seen before nor since, anything of that caliber. i was fresh out of my will durant's story of philosophy so i was really green. man all i could do was watch. if i even dared to try to argue, these dudes would pulverize me; wayyyyy over my head. extremely technical.

but there was this one loner there named biggy, and everyone was against him. remember you have a forum full of objectivists of all flavors, and these dudes know their shit. but biggy- and here is the strange part- was right beside them the whole way... chopping them down, blow for blow. for every argument they put out, biggy would counter it with something just as technical. all the other existentialists and relativists would be like 'yeah, what biggy said'. i look back at it now and get a laugh. great memories.

anyway, if this iambiguous is biggy, he's toned it down immensely. he isn't cutting loose at ILP like he could if he wanted. if he is biggy, i think he thinks it would be a waste of his time... so what he's done, as a real veteran of philosophy fora, is narrow down his platform to a simple formula... a formula that keeps on working and requires less effort; the dasein and conflicting good and whatever.

another coincidence; both biggy and iambiguous are vietnam vets.

scratch

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:01 pm

so i've been on a little vacation now that i'm just out of jail (as of 1/24). sitting around a house relaxing and eating real food for once in two years. Barracuda got me back into Rush (albeit, accidentally), and i've been putting work into the Rush thread. but hanging out on the forum all day like this is going to end soon, as i've got to come back to reality and START WORKING AGAIN. i dread it... not because of the work... i love my trade... but because of the idiots i have to work with/for. i hope i don't become a marxist/leninist again. cross your fingers for me. it's so hard to respect the free market when it's so full of flakes.

figure in about a week i gotta go back at it... back to the drudgery.
encode_decode

Post by encode_decode on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:35 am

I would also like to invite MS to post some of his gold over at my forum to stir up a bit of conversation - would be greatly appreciated.

forum.neosophi.net

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:16 am

a condition of my probation is that i have to get 'therapy'. i was given a list of therapists that i can choose from. each one has a private practice, and charges an initial fee for a preliminary evaluation. then depending on the results of this evaluation, he'll recommend that i either get therapy or not. if he decides i need it, he'll set up weekly or monthly sessions, and i'll have to pay his fee each time i see him.

what will happen is this. regardless of whether or not he thinks i'll need therapy after the outrageously priced initial evaluation, he'll still recommend to my probation officer that i need therapy; this gives him an opportunity to make some money off me.

i did this before back in 2008, once a month for a year. once the therapist realized i wouldn't sit there and nod my way through his amateur, pseudo-scientific psychobabble, we ended up talking about random, unrelated shit each time. a waste of my time and money, and he made a good profit off me.

this is what is going to happen again, this time. in the first session i will make myself clear to him; there is nothing you can tell me that i don't already know, there is nothing 'wrong' with what i have done (illegal, but not 'wrong'), i don't need therapy, and there is nothing you can do for me but bore me to death and take my money.

now, being uncooperative will not warrant a probation violation; i cannot be put back in jail to do the three year suspended sentence if i simply don't get along with the therapist. i will exploit this opportunity to be uncooperative, eventually forcing him to admit that there is nothing he can do for me. he will continue to see me of course, to make that money, so my purpose will be to make it as unpleasant for him as possible.

i'm going to get inside his brain, shake him up, challenge his assumptions, force him to question his own honesty and integrity, and generally strip him of everything sacred he believes in. when i'm done with this guy, he'll be seeking therapy himself.

i plan to secretly audio record these sessions and post them here. however, i can't promise any of it will be very good; i can't work on him if he doesn't respond like i need him to. he may very well turn out to be a dud and fizzle out before we get going. this all depends on his temperment and his willingness to concede my superior intelligence... if even indirectly and without admission.

i am almost ready to play the 'i'm broke' card (and i really am). i don't know if they can violate my probation if i simply don't have the money to pay for the therapy. i'll have to look into this.

if i haven't said it before, i'll say it now. the only reason i would ever follow the law is because breaking it would bring worse consequences and inconveniences then following it, would. nor am i the kind of guy who is susceptible to therapy like the ordinary, mindless automatons who fill these therapy rooms.

i am completely impervious to psychoanalysis. therefore, it would be a wasted effort to try to convince me that i have a 'problem'. it simply won't work... can't work, because the very idea of it begins at a nonfalsifiable, moral premise. psychology, as a field in the natural sciences, ended with behaviorism. the only thing that is certain and indubitable about human behavior is that it develops through classical and operant conditioning... not through the influence of some psychological speculation about why people behave as they do. to speak with skinner, the point is not that there isn't any 'mental content' to behavior, but that it is completely irrelevant, and cannot be known.

psychology has never been a true empiricism, and as such, it is negligible.

my therapy, if i have it at all, should begin and end with this simple statement: there are consequences for breaking the law. that is all. have a good day, sir.

(is this guy going to be ready for me? if i have my frontal lobe removed first, he might have a chance.)

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:39 am

my aggression is very telling, yes? i should explain. i do not know this guy or his intentions, but i do know this; he is part and parcel to the overall circumstances i've had to endure and suffer following my false convictions so many years ago. anybody who contributes in any way to further inconveniencing me is by virtue of that fact, part of the enemy. ah, but he's just doing his job. not my problem. they say a criminal's ignorance is no excuse when he breaks the law. that works both ways; the ignorance of a probation officer, or a shrink, or a deputy, or anyone else working for the criminal justice system, who imposes themselves and their restrictions upon somebody who was wrongfully convicted, can make no more excuse than the criminal, in doing so.

'it's just my job' they say. and what does your job include? implementing punishments and restrictions on somebody who does not deserve them?

'but i didn't know you were innocent', they say.

ignorance is no excuse, pal. wasn't for me. get another job, or be prepared to face your consequences.

that being said, this shrink shouldn't expect me to cooperate anymore than i absolutely have to.
Mitra-Sauwelios
Admin

Post by Mitra-Sauwelios on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:19 pm

encode_decode wrote:I would also like to invite MS to post some of his gold over at my forum to stir up a bit of conversation - would be greatly appreciated.

forum.neosophi.net

Thanks! I'll check it out. I like the design of the board index. Checking out the actual homepage now.

"The will to power takes the place which the eros--the striving for 'the good in itself'--occupies in Plato's thought. But the eros is not 'the pure mind' (der reine Geist). Whatever may be the relation between the eros and the pure mind according to Plato, in Nietzsche's thought the will to power takes the place of both eros and the pure mind. Accordingly philosophizing becomes a mode or modification of the will to power: it is the most spiritual (der geistigste) will to power; it consists in prescribing to nature what or how it ought to be (aph. 9); it is not love of the true that is independent of will or decision. Whereas according to Plato, the pure mind grasps the truth, according to Nietzsche the impure mind, or a certain kind of impure mind, is the sole source of truth." (Leo Strauss, Studies in Platonic Political Philosophy, "Note on the Plan of Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil".)
encode_decode

Post by encode_decode on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:15 am

Mitra-Sauwelios wrote:
encode_decode wrote:I would also like to invite MS to post some of his gold over at my forum to stir up a bit of conversation - would be greatly appreciated.

forum.neosophi.net

Thanks! I'll check it out. I like the design of the board index. Checking out the actual homepage now.
Yeah, dont judge anything by the homepage - the homepage has proven difficult for me to put together for many reasons. The forum itself is very new, very green and I am guessing that there will be users that know how to kick my ass with philosophy.

I started studying philosophy seriously a few months ago and not so serious several months before that. My own philosophy is quite raw(that is it comes from me) and you could say that my logic comes from the mathematical concepts of computing.

I am finding it rough going - at the same time I am really enjoying it. I started seriously with the upanishads before moving on to Socrates, Plato and Aristotle and just finished some Islamic and Christian stuff - I also seem to have a small fixation on what Henri Bergson the french philosopher wrote.

Anyway, enough rambling from me.

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Barracuda elsewhere wrote:Id like to see you do it, come up with rhyming, tight rhythmic narrative on the fly.

i can't do it. i'd only embarrass myself. i can't improv rhymes worth a shit, man... i have to write em. you'd destroy me in a freestyle, i'm sure.

these rappers who freestyle so well have not spontaneously developed this talent. they are constantly rapping in their heads, so they have a kind of reservoir of words at their disposal that they utilize during improv. it's a talent, sure, but not a talent to be placed beside a musician's talent. playing an instrument is a whole nuther' animal, man.

'tis one of my problems with the industry. mainstream commercialized music is being jammed full of hip-hop, discouraging any real musicians out there to express any creativity. there is no longer an audience for real music. consumers don't want musicians like they did in the nineties... the decade in which music made its last stand. yeah, once in a while a good band cuts a deal and puts an album out... but then they disappear. now you got these gay ass bands like cold play and maroon five... and this bruno mars clown. 'i'm a dangerous man with some money in my pocket'. seriously dude, go take a short walk on a long pier. you wanna know what it means to be a real musician, bruno? i got one word for you; mahavishnu. now sit the fuck down already.

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Barracuda elsewhere wrote:I feel weird here but its a fine forum.
You seem to be as always. Almost want to say hope prison was fun.

So how are you?

the forum will get there if saully and i have to fill the goddamn thing up ourselves. i'd like to send some ambassadors to philosophyforums.com to advertise. that's where the big fish are. wait, do we even have any ambassadors. saully, where's our ambassadors? what? we don't have any? well you know what that means. suit up, saully.

prison is never fun unless your an institutionalized inmate. i'm not an inmate, i'm a convict. i get in and i get out, as fast as i can.

they say the greatest feeling in the world is getting out of prison. to get that feeling, you have to go to prison first. so that's what i did. i went to prison so i could get out of prison and get that greatest feeling. the only feeling i've ever had that is comparable is freefall while skydiving. getting out of prison is like a sustained freefall minus the sound of the wind in your hears at 120 mph.

'how i am' is relatively okay and somewhat stablized for the moment. i had nowhere to go but a homeless shelter or the old lady's house. i picked the old lady's house. but i gotta tell ya, it takes everything i got to not go on the run again. i got four years max probation, two years min, and all kinds of fees and costs and expenses and court fines and shit that i'm going to try not to pay. i also got that fucking gps ankle bracelet on again; if i'm in NC i have to wear it FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. i gotta get out of this state man, come hell or high water.

van's missing a tire and the brakes are fucked up. i ain't gotta job yet but i'm working on it.

i keep getting these visions of being on the run before i got caught. a little devil is sitting on my left shoulder whispering into my ear: do it, brian. you know you want to. stop lying to yourself. you loved it. remember when you did that whole eight-ball of coke and then drove to south carolina on a whim at three in the morning with Primus blasting through the speakers, to hit some licks and sell some guns? yeah... you know what i'm talking about, you supercharged sociopath... you wonderful freak of nature! you were never happier man, and now you're just a miserable tiger pacing back and forth in a cage....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:29 am