The Pathos of Distance

THIS IS AN ANNOYING LOG-IN POP UP JUST FOR YOU

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Pathos of Distance

THIS IS AN ANNOYING LOG-IN POP UP JUST FOR YOU

The Pathos of Distance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pathos of Distance

- Agile Minds in Perpetuum -

+6
Zero_Sum
Satyr
Barracuda
Zoot Allures
Mitra-Sauwelios
encode_decode
10 posters

Ahem.......

Barracuda
    Barracuda

Ahem....... - Page 3 Empty Re: Ahem.......

Post by Barracuda Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:56 am

Zoot Allures wrote:
    in the WTP thread Barracuda wrote:Go on then.

that's a tall order dude. maybe because i've only ever provided critical commentary in bits and pieces in responses to various VO posts (you, UrGod, Pezer), that my critiques go unremembered. i'd have to spend some time and make a great effort to critique VO proper... but then we would only get lost in digressions and arguments about what certain words mean. i don't like doing that anymore... especially if i just get done spending a great deal of time in writing a major critique. shirley you understand.

we'll work it all out step by step, i think. i mean shit, ain't nobody else here to post, so fuck it.
    As little as you will be interested in my guitar lessons am I interested in learning what you have to say about VO. I only share VO with the forum people because I favour them. Most people worth some salt have already shifted from purely hypothetical to somewhat real propositions, which is the result of centralizing valuing and dismissing its opposite, "impartiality", which they tended to cling to with such touching bias.

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:35 am

barracuda wrote:you can take it off if you leave NC?

that's right. whenever i am in this state, i have to wear it. this is the kind i have:

Ahem....... - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_Sww3Rjmo5DxYPyFI0YyEBkGj1yMlJUIE7uIzJl6pFibeP1EuNg

it's the biggest one made, and has to be, because of the components. not like a regular house arrest bracelet. this one talks to me... tells me the battery is low, or fully charged, or to call the probation officer. i have to charge it everyday... plug myself into the wall and sit there for an hour. it beeps all the time, the buttons don't work right- i have to push the acknowledge button over and over and over again to get the fucking thing to shut up. it has worn a raw spot on my ankle bone that doesn't even hurt anymore.

i've been given four years probation by VA, with possibility of getting off in two years. now check this out. i asked my NC probation officer if he would recommend my early release in two years if i'm good, and he said no. he said if he made the recommendation to VA, and they took me off, and i got into trouble again, it would reflect badly on him and his decision. did you see that? see what he just did? he put his own personal concerns for himself above the law. if by law i can get off in two years if i have no problems, this should be irrelevant. so what the judge should have said was:

you have four years probation and will have to do all of it because if you do only two, and get into trouble afterwards, the probation officer will feel like he's made a bad decision, and that's not cool for him.

so, to get off in two years, i have to move back to VA right before i become eligible, just to get off.

meanwhile i either stay here in NC and wear the bracelet, or try to move back into VA. i am not prepared or able to do such a thing any time soon for financial reasons. and ludwig van needs some brake work and a battery and shit before he's running again.

so now i wait and i work and i save. that's all i can do. but you bet your ass i ain't stayin' in NC any longer than i have to.

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:40 am

barracuda wrote:Hiphop was still music then too.

i never considered it music in the strictest sense. i consider it poetry reading with musical accompaniment. it was the first major step in the decline of musical integrity, in the spirit of music. what a coincidence that it evolved out of the mediocre and lower classes as a venue for protest and complaint. now they've infested the music industry, too.
    Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum

Location : United States- Financial And Commercial Corporate Feudal Oligarchic Empire/Gulag Of Wallstreet

Post by Zero_Sum Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:19 am

You need to come to the Midwest man.
    Barracuda
    Barracuda

Post by Barracuda Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Zoot Allures wrote:
    barracuda wrote:you can take it off if you leave NC?

that's right. whenever i am in this state, i have to wear it. this is the kind i have:

Ahem....... - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_Sww3Rjmo5DxYPyFI0YyEBkGj1yMlJUIE7uIzJl6pFibeP1EuNg

it's the biggest one made, and has to be, because of the components. not like a regular house arrest bracelet. this one talks to me... tells me the battery is low, or fully charged, or to call the probation officer. i have to charge it everyday... plug myself into the wall and sit there for an hour. it beeps all the time, the buttons don't work right- i have to push the acknowledge button over and over and over again to get the fucking thing to shut up. it has worn a raw spot on my ankle bone that doesn't even hurt anymore.

i've been given four years probation by VA, with possibility of getting off in two years. now check this out. i asked my NC probation officer if he would recommend my early release in two years if i'm good, and he said no. he said if he made the recommendation to VA, and they took me off, and i got into trouble again, it would reflect badly on him and his decision. did you see that? see what he just did? he put his own personal concerns for himself above the law. if by law i can get off in two years if i have no problems, this should be irrelevant. so what the judge should have said was:

you have four years probation and will have to do all of it because if you do only two, and get into trouble afterwards, the probation officer will feel like he's made a bad decision, and that's not cool for him.

so, to get off in two years, i have to move back to VA right before i become eligible, just to get off.

meanwhile i either stay here in NC and wear the bracelet, or try to move back into VA. i am not prepared or able to do such a thing any time soon for financial reasons. and ludwig van needs some brake work and a battery and shit before he's running again.

so now i wait and i work and i save. that's all i can do. but you bet your ass i ain't stayin' in NC any longer than i have to.

Why don't you plan on moving to California? You seem to have the sort of skills and tastes that could make for a nice life there.
    Barracuda
    Barracuda

Post by Barracuda Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:52 pm

Zoot Allures wrote:
    barracuda wrote:Hiphop was still music then too.

i never considered it music in the strictest sense. i consider it poetry reading with musical accompaniment. it was the first major step in the decline of musical integrity, in the spirit of music. what a coincidence that it evolved out of the mediocre and lower classes as a venue for protest and complaint. now they've infested the music industry, too.

"One cant argue about taste", as the Dutch say.
    It is similar to how I think of Frank Zappa as a dude banging on bicycle frames with teaspoons. I realize thats because thats all I heard and it sucked, so I didn't bother listening to more.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:28 pm

Barracuda
    Barracuda

Post by Barracuda Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:35 pm

You got it.
    To me there is nothing musical about that. I do think he is a friendly fellow. And I won't deny that you like what he does.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:57 pm

he's toying around on a TV show, dude.

at 23 he was a composer playing guitar, bass, vibes and drums fluently, and writing scores for fifty piece orchestras.

what you see in that video was just the beginning.

you're correct about taste, unfortunately. while i would like to say, objectively, that rap music is garbage, i can't do that for logical reasons.

but regarding frank, there is no doubt among serious musicians that he was incomparable to anything that came out of the 60's, 70's or 80's, as far as talent, ability and ambition are concerned. he was the einstein of the electric age of music.

it may be that you haven't given him a chance, or, it may be that you simply can't recognize his greatness. that wouldn't be your fault, anymore than it's the fault of the people who listen to the crap on the radio today.

maybe what you need is a real zappa adventure. lemme see... oh, i got one. perfect. if you can make it all the way through this one, i'll bend over, kiss my own ass, and become a VOist.

let's see what you got....

Barracuda
    Barracuda

Post by Barracuda Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:01 pm

I got nothing.

Ahem....... - Page 3 Spn7fvU

The fact that the dude had the technical skills doesn't mean much to me. Music, to me, is more subtle and substantial than mere technical command of instruments. It requires that one has something to express. For me it does, at least.

Even if for example Tupacs melodies are simple, and I am not a great Tupac fan, I have to admit that he is a great musical creator. He put life into music.

Still, most music bores the fuck out of me. That goes for rap and anything else.

As for real skills so great that they can move me,
    https://audiomack.com/song/parodites/op6phansymph4
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:39 pm

Music, to me, is more subtle and substantial than mere technical command of instruments. It requires that one has something to express. For me it does, at least.

of course, but 'expressing something' is the easy part. in fact, so easy that zappa made a career of parodizing lyrical music by making satire out of just about everything.

zappa's message to the world of pop and rock-n-roll vocalists/lyricists was eloquent but simple: SHUT UP AND PLAY YOUR GUITAR.

now if you can write something interesting, instead of a love song, or some rap about how the man's got me down and how hard i am, or some miserable crap about how much life sucks, then you might have something.

basically, the thematic possibilities for lyrical music have been exhausted. everything is over formulaic, generic, predictable, simplistic.

who i think is the best lyricist; neil peart, of rush. and sure, there are some creative lyrical songs out there, plenty of them, that don't fall into those mundane categories.  

but we are seeing a gradual decline in instrumental integrity and a rise of those generic formulas... because that's what people recognize. because of this, the music industry caters to a consumer public that is musically illiterate, as frank mentioned (go to 3:17).
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:42 pm

yeah i've listened to parodites' stuff. saully turned me onto him. phenomenal pianist.
    Magnus Anderson
    Magnus Anderson

Post by Magnus Anderson Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:04 pm

I am convinced that you can greatly improve any rap song by making the vocalist sing rather than rap. Rapping is far less expressive than singing. It's too monotone.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:06 pm

the only way to improve rap music is to turn it off.

Satyr
    Satyr

Post by Satyr Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:36 pm

Songs of the slaves that survived, are Will to Power hymns.
    Who but a true survivor, that learned to love himself, through others loving him, surrounding himself with self-love, can appreciate the power to endure bacterium represent with perfection.

What can be highest than to survive and to love yourself in the process...no matter what.
    To love yourself by immersing yourself in a pool of friends that love you - to love yourself via others love for you, is the highest virtue of all.
    All loves itself into existence.
    Love precedes existence.

It is the most valuable gift I have to give to the world.
    Magnus Anderson
    Magnus Anderson

Post by Magnus Anderson Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:58 pm

the only way to improve rap music is to turn it off.

That's a hyperbole, isn't it? You despise rap so much that you're willing to say untruths about it.

I agree with you that jazz music is more interesting, at least in certain regards, but I also think that, like rap, it's too monotone. It's too discrete, too random, too asymmetric, too unemotional and too ugly.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:14 pm

"jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny"- FZ
    Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum

Location : United States- Financial And Commercial Corporate Feudal Oligarchic Empire/Gulag Of Wallstreet

Post by Zero_Sum Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Zoot Allures wrote:a condition of my probation is that i have to get 'therapy'. i was given a list of therapists that i can choose from. each one has a private practice, and charges an initial fee for a preliminary evaluation. then depending on the results of this evaluation, he'll recommend that i either get therapy or not. if he decides i need it, he'll set up weekly or monthly sessions, and i'll have to pay his fee each time i see him.

what will happen is this. regardless of whether or not he thinks i'll need therapy after the outrageously priced initial evaluation, he'll still recommend to my probation officer that i need therapy; this gives him an opportunity to make some money off me.

i did this before back in 2008, once a month for a year. once the therapist realized i wouldn't sit there and nod my way through his amateur, pseudo-scientific psychobabble, we ended up talking about random, unrelated shit each time. a waste of my time and money, and he made a good profit off me.

this is what is going to happen again, this time. in the first session i will make myself clear to him; there is nothing you can tell me that i don't already know, there is nothing 'wrong' with what i have done (illegal, but not 'wrong'), i don't need therapy, and there is nothing you can do for me but bore me to death and take my money.

now, being uncooperative will not warrant a probation violation; i cannot be put back in jail to do the three year suspended sentence if i simply don't get along with the therapist. i will exploit this opportunity to be uncooperative, eventually forcing him to admit that there is nothing he can do for me. he will continue to see me of course, to make that money, so my purpose will be to make it as unpleasant for him as possible.

i'm going to get inside his brain, shake him up, challenge his assumptions, force him to question his own honesty and integrity, and generally strip him of everything sacred he believes in. when i'm done with this guy, he'll be seeking therapy himself.

i plan to secretly audio record these sessions and post them here. however, i can't promise any of it will be very good; i can't work on him if he doesn't respond like i need him to. he may very well turn out to be a dud and fizzle out before we get going. this all depends on his temperment and his willingness to concede my superior intelligence... if even indirectly and without admission.

i am almost ready to play the 'i'm broke' card (and i really am). i don't know if they can violate my probation if i simply don't have the money to pay for the therapy. i'll have to look into this.

if i haven't said it before, i'll say it now. the only reason i would ever follow the law is because breaking it would bring worse consequences and inconveniences then following it, would. nor am i the kind of guy who is susceptible to therapy like the ordinary, mindless automatons who fill these therapy rooms.

i am completely impervious to psychoanalysis. therefore, it would be a wasted effort to try to convince me that i have a 'problem'. it simply won't work... can't work, because the very idea of it begins at a nonfalsifiable, moral premise. psychology, as a field in the natural sciences, ended with behaviorism. the only thing that is certain and indubitable about human behavior is that it develops through classical and operant conditioning... not through the influence of some psychological speculation about why people behave as they do. to speak with skinner, the point is not that there isn't any 'mental content' to behavior, but that it is completely irrelevant, and cannot be known.

psychology has never been a true empiricism, and as such, it is negligible.

my therapy, if i have it at all, should begin and end with this simple statement: there are consequences for breaking the law. that is all. have a good day, sir.

(is this guy going to be ready for me? if i have my frontal lobe removed first, he might have a chance.)

Therapists are useless and predictable. This one time I had fun with one and convinced them that I was a potential serial killer. Needless to say they gave up my account and suggested that I find somebody else.
    Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum

Post by Zero_Sum Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:59 pm

Zoot Allures wrote:
    Barracuda elsewhere wrote:Id like to see you do it, come up with rhyming, tight rhythmic narrative on the fly.

i can't do it. i'd only embarrass myself. i can't improv rhymes worth a shit, man... i have to write em. you'd destroy me in a freestyle, i'm sure.

these rappers who freestyle so well have not spontaneously developed this talent. they are constantly rapping in their heads, so they have a kind of reservoir of words at their disposal that they utilize during improv. it's a talent, sure, but not a talent to be placed beside a musician's talent. playing an instrument is a whole nuther' animal, man.

'tis one of my problems with the industry. mainstream commercialized music is being jammed full of hip-hop, discouraging any real musicians out there to express any creativity. there is no longer an audience for real music. consumers don't want musicians like they did in the nineties... the decade in which music made its last stand. yeah, once in a while a good band cuts a deal and puts an album out... but then they disappear. now you got these gay ass bands like cold play and maroon five... and this bruno mars clown. 'i'm a dangerous man with some money in my pocket'. seriously dude, go take a short walk on a long pier. you wanna know what it means to be a real musician, bruno? i got one word for you; mahavishnu. now sit the fuck down already.

I seem to recall warning you to watch out and stay out of trouble the last conversation we had on the phone together. Wink
    Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum

Post by Zero_Sum Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Zoot Allures wrote:i just saw a commerical on TV that really disturbed me. it was one of those 'for just seventeen cents a day you can help...etc., etc.'

this particular commercial showed footage from the middle east... a little girl, maybe four or five, was so shaken by a bomb that was dropped by her that she couldn't even talk. the video showed a group of people huddling around her, trying to comfort her. she was shaking like a leaf, her face distorted with fear and in tears. man i'm telling you this REALLY messed me up. i've seen commercials like these before and can usually walk away unscathed. but this one got me. i'm still hot behind the eyes right now.

if there were a god responsible for this world, i would eternally defy him. the sheer incompetence of such a god is staggering. to have the power to create anything and instead choose to create a world like this. no sir. that's not gonna fly.

this god has just been fired, by me.

Atheism or misotheism? It makes very little difference either way. As for me I have an intense hatred of Abrahamic religions. I'm an atheist also.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:34 pm

I seem to recall warning you to watch out and stay out of trouble the last conversation we had on the phone together.

i had a master plan dude... was gonna take it to the next level, and i needed a partner. i thought surely nick would want a piece of the action.

when i talked to you, i had my eye on a spot in norfolk near the projects. i had been watching drug dealers working the area for weeks. the same ones in the same spots at the same times, like clockwork, almost every night. the area was reasonably secluded for being in the city; wooded areas on two sides and very few street lamps.

now i didn't necessarily need a partner to rob these dealers, but i'd prefer to have one. i had it worked out so that i would be waiting by the dealers spot for him to post up. most of the time they were alone. that'd be no problem... but if any homies were around that i missed, it could be dangerous.

we're talking up to a grand or more, pistol(s), and whatever stuff he's selling. major score, dude. bada bing, bada boom. no problem. in and out. disappear like a ghost before he could even hit speed dial on his phone.

but noooooooo. you wanna stay in the fucking boonies up in the middle of nowhere in wisconsin or wherever they hell you are.
    Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum

Post by Zero_Sum Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:42 pm

Zoot Allures wrote:
    I seem to recall warning you to watch out and stay out of trouble the last conversation we had on the phone together.

i had a master plan dude... was gonna take it to the next level, and i needed a partner. i thought surely nick would want a piece of the action.

when i talked to you, i had my eye on a spot in norfolk near the projects. i had been watching drug dealers working the area for weeks. the same ones in the same spots at the same times, like clockwork, almost every night. the area was reasonably secluded for being in the city; wooded areas on two sides and very few street lamps.

now i didn't necessarily need a partner to rob these dealers, but i'd prefer to have one. i had it worked out so that i would be waiting by the dealers spot for him to post up. most of the time they were alone. that'd be no problem... but if any homies were around that i missed, it could be dangerous.

we're talking up to a grand or more, pistol(s), and whatever stuff he's selling. major score, dude. bada bing, bada boom. no problem. in and out. disappear like a ghost before he could even hit speed dial on his phone.

but noooooooo. you wanna stay in the fucking boonies up in the middle of nowhere in wisconsin or wherever they hell you are.  

It was northern Minnesota where I was last when we spoke on the phone. I hate Wisconsin as that is where my pathetic relatives live. I've been living in Illinois the last two years.

My plan is basically to survive any and every way that I can until this country economically collapses from within where prison is the last place I or anybody wants to be when the shit really hits the fan in this nation. It's going to happen in the near future. I seem to recall mentioning that to you where my stance hasn't changed at all since then.

So for the moment I remain law abiding only in that I am waiting for the inevitable end result for this nation as a whole. When that happens then the gloves will come off but not until then.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:24 pm

We would take the money home
    Sit around the family throne
    My old dog could chew his bone
    For two weeks we could appease the almighty

it'd be easy money, nick.

Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum

Post by Zero_Sum Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:39 am

Zoot Allures wrote:We would take the money home
    Sit around the family throne
    My old dog could chew his bone
    For two weeks we could appease the almighty

it'd be easy money, nick.

There will be a lot of easy scoring when we eventually have 75-85% unemployment, martial law is declared, massive civil war, everybody getting herded into FEMA camps, and mass starvation in the streets everywhere. pirat

I am a big picture long term opportunist Brian. Wink

Short term small opportunities don't really interest me.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:26 am

alright man, but you better not chicken out on me. i've got weapons and ammo, cans of baked beans, peanut butter and tuna fish, camping gear, and every issue of better homes and gardens from 2007 to 2010, stashed in a cache waiting for us.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm