The Pathos of Distance

THIS IS AN ANNOYING LOG-IN POP UP JUST FOR YOU
The Pathos of Distance

- Agile Minds in Perpetuum -

the video thread

promethean75

the video thread - Page 3 Empty Re: the video thread

Post by promethean75 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:57 am

teen town audio overdub. shame we couldn't get the video footage too. the groove is true to the song until 8:49 when jaco takes them out of time. they gradually increase tempo at 8:59... then, at 9:11, jaco speeds up the tempo again unexpectedly (caught the drummer off guard...lol). work these cats, jaco....

promethean75

Post by promethean75 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:05 pm

(moved)

Last edited by promethean75 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    promethean75

Post by promethean75 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:23 pm

(moved)
    promethean75

Post by promethean75 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:39 pm

"in my house my dad controlled pretty much everything we listened to or didn't listen to. but my mom loved babara streisand...[laughs]... and my dad hated her and he forbade my mom to listen to her in his presence. so whenever he left my mom busted out the barbara streisand albums and was singing 'everywhere to evergreen' when i was four years old. (12:09)" - mary, daughter of jaco pastorius

"we were having a problem with our bass player at the time, and i asked jaco if he would play with my band just for a few months, and he said that he would do it. so i gave him a tape of our concert. he hears it once, once, ... he plays the show not like he just learned it... he played the show like he wrote it (12:57)." - bobby colomby of blood, sweat and tears

"no no... i can't describe him as a sweety. he had a colossal ego... uh, to a point where when his record was about to be out... and i knew he was gonna tour in europe... i felt the best thing i could do was to go in advance of jaco and do interviews about him so he wouldn't have to talk about himself too much... [...]... and the first thing i hear is that he does an interview... and i believe it was in england where the exact quote was 'stanley clarke ain't shit' (14:14)" - bobby colomby

this documentary is excellent... what an enigmatic character this guy was. and by that i mean he's not the personality you'd expect of a highly skilled jazz fusion musician. uneducated, pushy, foul-mouthed, obnoxious, belligerent at times, arrogant as hell and often very rude (might explain him getting beaten to death). lower class kid from south florida becomes an overnight bass sensation, revolutionizing the entire genre. and when i say that, you must understand that this is no easy task. jazz fusion is not your grand-dad's rock-n-roll, pal. it is some of the most complicated and elaborate musical theory that exists. one just doesn't 'get it' without rigorous schooling/training, and yet jaco absorbed every bit of it without school and at an extraordinary rate.

this guy was a divided soul... almost as if the part of him that was this master musician was compartmentalized and separated from his regular otherwise crude person. he just had it... had that magic touch, hardwired for it, destined to become it. this kind of enigma is what makes for a most interesting artist. guys like this are shooting stars that zoom across the sky above us in a fiery trail... then disappear as fast as they appeared.

it's difficult not to excuse his rather unpleasant temperament when all this is considered. one couldn't argue against it, one couldn't reprimand him for it; he was the best and there was no disputing that. if ever someone asked at a party or show 'who is that arrogant prick over there that won't shut up?', the answer would be 'that's jaco pastorious, the greatest bassist in the world...'

much has happened in the world of jazz bass since (enter the modern day victor wootens), but all of it can be traced back to the fundamentals laid down by a small few from the seventies. and if you asked all but one of these few, who was the best, they'd undoubtedly say jaco...

promethean75

Post by promethean75 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:33 pm

king of the beasts, my ass.

these niggas need to stop lion and tell the truth. This ain't hollywood, this ain't the muthafuckin' lion king, nigga.

tap out, mufasa, while you still have a chance....

(to be fair, the lion wins that last one (other full video), but I'd bet that jump/fall significantly weakened the tiger to the lions advantage.)

Last edited by promethean75 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    promethean75

Post by promethean75 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:05 pm

ah, here were are...

the tiger's superiority is probably a result of being a lone hunter, while lions hunt in packs. having to contend with large prey alone would demand that only the strongest survived to reproduce, while lions were not subject to this evolutionary pressure and precision tuning as much.

promethean75

Post by promethean75 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:00 pm

in my ongoing research of the tiger i've found among the available videos only two instances in which the tiger was beaten. one instance was a grizzly bear, the other a jack russell terrier. the results of the fight with the grizzly bear should be obvious and wouldn't require any further examination. it's the fight with the jack russell terrier that i'd like to take a closer look at. we'd expect that this should be no match, but as you will see the superior fighting tactics of the jack russell terrier prove to be something the tiger is not able to contend with.

notice first how the terrier ambushes the tiger, catching him off guard. this ability is something the terrier has evolved over time by being trained and used as a hunting dog. we then see the ambush followed by an immediate, sustained frontal assault that gives the tiger no time to recuperate from the initial attack. the terrier's exceptional dexterity allows it to maneuver defensively against the tiger's attempt to gain the upper hand, and the assault persists, owing its unrelenting force to the undeniable endurance the terrier possesses in a combat situation. it a matter of seconds the tiger is completely disoriented, the intelligent terrier then further exploits this condition and becomes more aggressive, focusing it's attack on the face of the now exhausted tiger. even as the tiger attempts to pin the terrier, the terrier demonstrates its greater skill as a grappler, quickly breaking free of the pin. i don't think there is any question here as to whether or not the terrier is a superior fighter... and it's no coincidence that this breed of dog has earned the name 'the terrible terrier', as the etymology shows.

don't let the title of the video fool you; the tiger is horrified by this experience and struggles with all its strength to survive.
    promethean75

Post by promethean75 on Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:52 pm

promethean75

Post by promethean75 on Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:13 pm

very good, alan. you managed to do a whole lecture without spacing out on us. you came close, but held yourself together. i'm proud of you.

promethean75

Post by promethean75 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:02 am

i'm playing... or should i say 'living'... in Fallout 4 right now on the xbox one. it is, hands down, the greatest game i have ever played... right beside the morrowind/skyrim series. bethesda is without a doubt the god of video games.

this game is so incredibly immersive that i literally no longer care about my 'real' life. no, i don't live in your world any longer - i live in a post-apocalyptic world that has come apart at the seams after the bomb was dropped... a world now consisting of irradiated mutant monsters, vigilante militia groups trying to retain order and rebuild civilization, and radical scientists who want to create a new world of synthetic human beings. not to mention innumerable other factions with their own plans and agendas.

so at the beginning, me, my wife and my newborn son are granted entry into the 'vault' prior to the nuclear war. then i find out we were cryogentically frozen for 200 years, after which my wife dies and they (the overseers) take my son. then i fight my way out of the vault only to emerge into a world completely destroyed by nuclear war. now wtf do i do?  all i've got is the vault suit on my back (all residents are issued one) and not a clue what's happening. so i find my way back to my old neighborhood and discover the wasteland it's become. i enter my old house and am immediately attacked by enormous, irradiated cock roaches. oh isn't this a nice surprise. so i kill the fucking things and then collect the meat to eat later. yeah, it's that bad. like you can't even find clean water. everything is poisoned by radiation.

now, eighteen levels later (there is no level cap in this game, btw), i make mad max look like a choir boy. man i've got self-made modified weapons, armor, food stocks, all kinds of skill sets, and connections with militia groups everywhere. i even acquired a 'raider suit'... it's like a robotic suit of war armor that i get into (think sigourney weaver in that alien movie where she fights the alien in the loading robot suit thing). this game is ridiculous. the degree of interaction and control you have over your character and the environment is astonishing.

completely open world (no boundaries like in call of duty or ghost recon or those other FPS games). the detailed realism is insane; you can become addicted to chems, develop bad karma which effects your interactions with others, can steal and pick-pocket, build entire communities equiped with resources and military fortifications.

currently i've become the general of a vigilante group called 'the minute men', who've sworn to re-establish working communites within the commonwealth. but on the side i've also joined up with an enemy faction (the brotherhood of steel). shh don't tell bethesda. i'm trying to cause the game to freak out by running two main quest lines at the same time. i wanna see what'll happen.

anyway, i figure if i can't live out my ideal life in reality, i'll do it in a game. it's the next best thing. and who is to say what is real? omg what if a game is an alternate reality? seriously man, i am INVOLVED in this game, yo. i wake up thinking about it; should i infiltrate diamond city yet, or wait to find out more information about it? look man, i've even got a pet german shepherd that i've decked out in spiked armor. he follows my orders... like i can order him to stay, attack, search a dead body, recon an area, and carry shit. he's been with me the whole time and i love him like a brother. and i wouldn't hesitate to give him one of my stim-paks if he needed it.

and you literally 'cook' in this game too. you make prepared food items with stuff you've collected. i've got a huge stash of roasted bloatflies and iguana-bits. prepared food items replenish hit points. chemicals too; you can make specialized chems that enhance your performance. i'll combine some mentats with a jet inhaler and make what's called a 'psycho', which enhances my attack while slowing down time. and the weaponry is retarded. there is almost no limit to the modifications you can make provided you have the techincal skill. i've got a glow-sighted semi-automatic drum loaded long stock shotgun with a supressor on it with a range that's unheard of for shotguns.

and i'm not even gonna tell you about the plasma and lazer guns i made. i've got a fucking mini-nuke bomb launcher called the 'fatman' that's got a blast radius like a football field.

you don't know what FPS means until you've experienced this game. when using sniper rifles you have the option to hold your breath at the expense of AP points, to steady your aim. and the pip-boy personal computer that controls my VATS system? you have no idea.

let it be said that you don't wanna fuck with me. best thing you can do is join me. and when i take this shit online, those teenage chinese kids with 130 IQs and the fancy xbox gear are gonna know what it means to play an old school gamer. i was there when king's quest came out on the PCjr, and decades later i beat halo in three days and one quarter ounce of weed.  

anywho, bethesda has really done it this time. never before has a game been this real, this cinematic, this interactive...

Yong Bao

Post by Yong Bao on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 pm

Satyr said that videogames were much better back in the olden days. He said that the newer, modern day games are a sign of how feminized
    the videogame industry has become. The newer generation of games show no signs of having the masculine spirit like some of the older ones.

promethean75

Post by promethean75 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:25 pm

"show no signs of having the masculine spirit"

http://sendvid.com/ia4czmd2

So what if I wanna put a dress on and jump into the ocean during combat.
    promethean75

Post by promethean75 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:01 am

look at this dweeb. *cough*...20th century 'nietzscheans'.

great movie, btw. a badly produced b-movie cult classic with terrible acting... but it's the style of the film that's so good. there is no premise, no general plotline. the scenes consist of random, disconnected events, each of which develops it's own context... then fades into the next unrelated dialogue, and so on.

probably my favorite scene. old anarchist comes home to find some kid has broken into his house. he walks through the door and the kid nervously points a gun at him. what does the old anarchist do? lol... he takes the kid under his wing and begins to lecture him on the virtues of anarchism, then invites him to stay for dinner. finally he reads a nietzsche quote, shakes the kid's hand, gives him back his gun and sends him on his way. (That last quote was bakunin?)

promethean75

Post by promethean75 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:44 am

It's a miracle that this old anarchist sage hasn't been assassinated yet. Part of the west's modus operandi is to vilify the middle east so to distract people from its covert imperialistis practices. The most recent trend in this effort has become the threat of radical islam, which the ruling elite in the west are now struggling to maintain. This is why I wonder why chomsky still lives; he's such a formidable force in exposing the lies, I'd think by now he would've had an accident and mysteriously fallen down a flight of stairs or something.

promethean75

Post by promethean75 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:55 am

^^^ lol go to 11:28. Some Republican douch rocket tries to call big chom on some such trivial bullshit... then chom makes him eat it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:34 am