The Pathos of Distance

THIS IS AN ANNOYING LOG-IN POP UP JUST FOR YOU

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Pathos of Distance

THIS IS AN ANNOYING LOG-IN POP UP JUST FOR YOU

The Pathos of Distance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pathos of Distance

- Agile Minds in Perpetuum -

On the Genealogy of Morels

On the Genealogy of Morels Empty On the Genealogy of Morels

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:45 pm

as an old mycologist i am loth to admit of that one scruple that, like an uninvited but irresistible chef who makes such demands of my taste and appetite as to call these my 'a priori' of seasoning, i should take up as my phylogenic task alone, to draw the distinction between true morels and false morels. the first impulse to speak something of my hypothesis came about in the midst of a seemingly precocious affair; the gyromitrin of a false morel i had consumed while at a holiday inn salad bar, was hydrolyzed into a toxic compound known as monomethylhydrazine. i experienced a severe weakening of the body, and for days contended with bouts of nausea and dizziness.

it was perhaps here that the thought occurred to me, that insight during the greatest, heaviest moment of doubt, when everything one once held to so firmly is called upon for the most incriminating of questions. how does the false morel originate, and why is it here at the salad bar?

the false morel, of the genuinely scandinavian type, is found in degenerate conditions; the disturbed ground of the deciduous woodlands and among conifers, exhibiting an extraordinary endemism. one must ask; has such circumstances hitherto hindered or furthered the the growth of anatomically simpler fungi closer to the order of ascomycota, the true morel? or is this a sign of distress and taxonomic impoverishment characterizing the cultivation of all morels, true and false?

thereupon i discovered and ventured ecologist questions. i distinguish between culinary ages, cooks and chefs, degrees of rank among mushrooms. i departmentalized my problem and sought across vast expanses of time that one deciding feature; the disambiguation of the intentions of mushroom trade.

again i found simpler problems, free from the multifarious complexities of my initial investigation. i opened my ears again and could now hear what the chefs have been saying.

"we good chefs- we are the just" - what they desire they call, not plebian tastes, but 'the triumph of the import of mediocre fungi', this they call the triumph of culinary justice.

it was their sweetest revenge... this reduction of everything distant and pure to the commonplace, the reduction to the convenience of the patron at the salad bar. and oh what irony! a false morel... a fungi for a fun guy! homer called this revenge 'sweeter than honey'... but nothing is so sweet to the fun guy as the acrid tinge on the tongue of a false morel!

but we others, we who have more delicate tastes because we have tasted so much, a sensitivity to all that defines and distinguishes a fungi from the common mushroom marketplace; we are the ones to whom the true morchella belongs.

when that great modern noise of the multimillion-dollar commercial harvesting industry of false morels becomes so loud as to shake the very ground upon which the salad bar stands... we look away, we walk away and take our plates elsewhere. but our consciences ask us; do you walk away in search of true morels, or as just another disgruntled customer? do you seek the real morchellaceae, or just a copy? perhaps you seek a copy of a copy. first question of taste and appetite.
    promethean75

On the Genealogy of Morels Empty Re: On the Genealogy of Morels

Post by promethean75 Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:03 am

mother fucker. i just spent an hour doing another parody... this one of 'beyond good and evil' called 'beyond bolls and weevils', and then deleted nearly the whole thing by accident on this fucking chrome book because it doesn't have a fucking mouse and i pressed the wrong keyboard command. fuck it was good. i'm not writing the whole thing again so forget it. this is the only aphorism that survived.

Beyond Bolls and Weevils

Supposing that Truth is a weevil — what then? Is there not ground for suspecting that all agriculturalists, in so far as they have been farmers, have failed to understand weevils — that the terrible seriousness and clumsy importunity with which they have usually paid their addresses to the insect, have been unskilled and unseemly methods for beating a weevil? Certainly it has never allowed itself to be won; and at present every kind of agricultural philosophy stands with sad and discouraged entomologists — if, indeed, it stands at all! For there are farmers who maintain that the vermin has fallen, that all weevils lie on the ground — nay more, that the weevil is at its last gasp. But to speak seriously, there are good grounds for hoping that all insecticide use in agriculture, whatever solemn, whatever conclusive and decided forms it has assumed, may have been only the noble puerilism of the farmer; and probably the time is at hand when it will be once and again understood what has actually sufficed for the basis of such imposing and absolute pest control as the farmers have hitherto reared: perhaps some popular imposition of immemorial time (such as the insecticide imposition, which, in the form of chemical and poison use, has not yet ceased doing mischief to vegetable produce yields): perhaps some play upon tractors, a deception on the part of the crop or the weather, or an audacious generalization of very restricted, very personal, very farmer — all-too-farmer facts....
    promethean75

Post by promethean75 Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:22 am

a sneak peak at another project called 'the will to shower'...

1. a malodorous man stands at the door: whence comes this uncleaninest of guests? Point of departure: it is an error to consider generic laundry detergents or old malfunctioning bathtubs, or, worse, dirty water produced by negligent water treatment plants, as the cause of this condition. Relatively speaking, ours is the cleanest age. Odoriferousness, whether of the body, breath, or clothes, cannot itself give birth to such putridity (i.e., the radical repudiation of soaps, toothpastes, perfumes, colognes, scented detergents and fabric softeners)...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am