The Pathos of Distance

THIS IS AN ANNOYING LOG-IN POP UP JUST FOR YOU

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Pathos of Distance

THIS IS AN ANNOYING LOG-IN POP UP JUST FOR YOU

The Pathos of Distance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pathos of Distance

- Agile Minds in Perpetuum -

+2
Barracuda
Mitra-Sauwelios
6 posters

What is the Will to Power?

Barracuda
    Barracuda

What is the Will to Power? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the Will to Power?

Post by Barracuda Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:16 am

Wittgenstein overcame Wittgenstein, precisely when he realized that there is no discernible line between concept and thing; "thing" is a concept, and he couldn't begin to identify its parameters, because these parameters must be expressions of what they delineate.

Do you follow this?
    It is almost impossible to resolve this. But not quite.

First requirement: forget about the traditional relation between concepts and terms. Rather than believe that a term "holds" a concept, search for the full array of concepts that each term implies or even merely suggests.

That is where thought begins.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:39 am

Zoot wrote:and nothing cannot 'lack' anything. insofar as nothing is an absence of being, yes, you could say that it 'lacked' being...

okay, let me try agin. you can point to an empty space and say 'something is lacking there', but it isn't the space that is lacking, because empty space is nothing, and nothing can't lack anything. what you would mean when you said 'something is lacking there' is that the space doesn't have anything in it... but this is different from saying empty space is something that can lack; empty space is nothing. it isn't. it cannot lack something because it doesn't exist to lack something.

nothing is a complete absence of anything, including the possibility of lacking anything.

joe: look, nothing is over there!

bob: what do you mean nothing is over there? there's no such thing as nothing.

joe: i mean there isn't anything over there.

bob: okay, that makes sense.

joe: isn't that the same as saying nothing is over there?

bob: no, because nothing can't be somewhere dude. not-A is not the same as not-A = A (nothing) that lacks B (something). nothing has no identity. it cannot be meaningful in language unless it expresses the absence of something... and the absence of something is not the same thing as nothing. absence means 'something is there rather than here'. remember in fact there is no real 'empty' space, only the field. 'nothing' is not real.

how'd i do, boss?
    Barracuda
    Barracuda

Post by Barracuda Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:57 pm

This is at best sophistry. Nothing doesn't contain anything, so it lacks everything it could be asked to produce, such as being, or itself. It thus lacks the power to produce itself as it lacks the power to produce being. It is not for nothing nothing.
    Come on man. Take this a little seriously at least. I really, really hate it when people use what intelligence stye have to try to obstruct its workings by throwing sand in the wheels of their own mind while dancing and thinking this is clever.

Maybe no one ever told you this but you are better than that. At the very least you ought to be.
    Live up to your century.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:11 pm

man i shit you not that i don't understand what you are trying to tell me. i think i know, and i try to correct what i think you mean... but you might not mean what i think you mean. and apparently you can't explain what you mean in a way i can understand. i will be charitable and take the blame for this without telling you i really believe you are confused.

shit, i just told you.
    witchdoctor
    witchdoctor

Post by witchdoctor Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:47 pm

Zoot Allures wrote:what is power? a potential for work or work itself?

A potential for transformation of energy.

what would it mean to say a battery has power in it if it isn't discharging itself but sitting on the shelf? we would mean that there is something in the battery which can undergo a physical change, produce energy, and therefore force, and therefore motion.

A potential for transformation, in this case, reactive chemicals which have not yet reached a state of equilibrium.

but how does something 'have' a potential for motion? either it is presently producing motion or not. it cannot 'possess' a possibility like it can possess a physical quality.

Yes, it can. Potential energy is nonetheless energy, and it is an attribute of matter. A spring which has been tensed up, but is presently still possesses the physical attribute of potential energy, which is a potential for transformation into kinetic energy, or motion.

so then something 'turns into' energy... rather than providing it? but everything is energy already, so everything is already kinetic power. things don't 'give' energy.

Not "turn into energy", nor "give energy", but "transform". No energy is created, only transformed.
    You can say that everything has the possibility to become kinetic power, so long as it is not in a state of equilibrium. If it is, then it requires more energy to be entered into the system, in which case the potential, or power, is not coming from it, itself, but from the energy which was added.

well what does that mean? it means everything is moving, but nothing 'makes' movement, or 'effects' movement in something else... so nothing 'possesses' power. things can't have power... they are power... insofar as they are moving.

I don't think that follows.
    They are not power, they are energy, and when not in a state of equilibrium they possess the potential to transform.

so to apply a force through a distance, is work? but again, nothing 'applies' force, nor can it 'have' force.

I hope I have showed that this does not follow.

power is movement? but movement and the body that moves, are two different things.

And yet they are the same. Mass too, is energy. Two forms of energy, but all is energy.

absolve all these conceptual difficulties and you end up with one final and fundamental quiddity: noise

aka heat, the means by which energy dissipates.

the universe is a note. rock on, universe.  

May as well make some s'mores.

[/quote]
    witchdoctor
    witchdoctor

Post by witchdoctor Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:50 pm

Feel free to move this post to science. I didn't mean to kill your breeze. Pass the joint, please.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:51 am

now why would i move your post? your post was more on topic than the previous four or five, before it.

yes i know what you're saying. these things you explain are physics proper, but i'm trying a metaphysical approach to the question of what power is... which might take us around or underneath physics. have a look at this:

nietzsche wrote:The mechanistic world is imagined only as sight and touch imagine a world (as "moved") --so as to be calculable-- thus causal unities are invented, "things" (atoms) whose effect remains constant (--transference of the false concept of subject to the concept of the atom)...
    If we eliminate these additions, no things remain but only dynamic quanta, in a relation of tension to all other dynamic quanta: their essence lies in their relation to all other quanta, in their "effect" upon the same. The will to power is not a being, not a becoming, but a pathos --the most elemental fact from which a becoming and effecting first emerge--

so he says the mechanistic world is 'imagined'... then he says our concept of motion is due to a sense prejudice. now this is pretty heavy man, because it smacks in the face of out very conception of the physical world and how it works. but there is some relevance in this theory because if you grant a) that our brains create our experience of motion, and b) that there are no 'subjects', classical physics is no longer enough to explain the mechanistic world. add to this the idea that there is indeed no empty space (no real vacuum in nature), and hume's theory of the induction fallacy, and the problem becomes far more complicated.

now we aren't going to be able to understand physicality or causality in terms of classical physics; if there is no empty space, quanta can't move anywhere... where would they move... there is no room to move! and also, simply because a specific quanta exhibits a change doesn't necessarily means it was 'effected' by another quanta to do so. hume is saying we can't logically assert something else caused the change. that B followed A doesn't mean A caused B, see.

so, without being able to move, or be effected, or even be a 'subject' in the first place, what does that leave but a radically different interpretation of the mechanistic world? i mean yeah, we see things move all the time... but how can we be certain this isn't just a sense prejudice?

you have to imagine a field of jam-packed quantum points of power... and they don't move... they just kinda 'breath', or pulsate, or expand and contract. and these actions don't effect those points surrounding the quantum that act this way. they're all doing the same thing. it's almost like what leibniz was describing in his monadology. weird man.

the problem i'm having is with the claim that there is no motion. i can't believe that; sense prejudice or not. power cannot be expressed unless there is motion.. since that's what work is. now i have to entertain the notion that quantum don't 'have' power... don't have potential to move... because they are always moving, are always kinetic. they are power... they don't have it; there is never a state where they could produce more or less power because this would involve a causality; energy would have to be transferred, and this transference would be an instance of hume's induction fallacy. we couldn't say that quanta A was effected by quanta B when quanta B 'passed' its energy. it doesn't pass it... it just radiates it or something. man i don't fuckin' know. this is why i hate doing metaphysics.

i'm gonna go do something else now.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:00 am

witchdoctor wrote:Pass the joint, please.

oh.... yeah, hold on...

What is the Will to Power? - Page 2 England-london-close-up-of-man-smoking-cannabis-picture-id500045287?s=612x612

kay, here...

What is the Will to Power? - Page 2 Joint-120110
    Barracuda
    Barracuda

Post by Barracuda Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:10 am

Either you are a dummy or you pretend to be. Ive always thought its the latter.

Sometimes, you reveal some spark. Not often enough though.

You really seem to think moronity is "cool".

Maybe it is where you are from.

The world is so diverse.

Ok, Ill give up on you.
    witchdoctor
    witchdoctor

Post by witchdoctor Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:15 am

Zoot Allures wrote:now why would i move your post? your post was more on topic than the previous four or five, before it.

yes i know what you're saying. these things you explain are physics proper, but i'm trying a metaphysical approach to the question of what power is... which might take us around or underneath physics.

I'll grant you that, but it is one thing to conceive of a new model, and it is another thing to use the current model incorrectly Smile

have a look at this:

nietzsche wrote:The mechanistic world is imagined only as sight and touch imagine a world (as "moved") --so as to be calculable-- thus causal unities are invented, "things" (atoms) whose effect remains constant (--transference of the false concept of subject to the concept of the atom)...
    If we eliminate these additions, no things remain but only dynamic quanta, in a relation of tension to all other dynamic quanta: their essence lies in their relation to all other quanta, in their "effect" upon the same. The will to power is not a being, not a becoming, but a pathos --the most elemental fact from which a becoming and effecting first emerge--

so he says the mechanistic world is 'imagined'... then he says our concept of motion is due to a sense prejudice. now this is pretty heavy man, because it smacks in the face of out very conception of the physical world and how it works. but there is some relevance in this theory because if you grant a) that our brains create our experience of motion, and b) that there are no 'subjects', classical physics is no longer enough to explain the mechanistic world. add to this the idea that there is indeed no empty space (no real vacuum in nature), and hume's theory of the induction fallacy, and the problem becomes far more complicated.

Sure, you can abolish the notion of a thing, or an atom, and imagine the universe as "quanta" and have that word be a placeholder for a mysterious and unknown constituent element, but you still need to acknowledge that there is interaction in the quanta, and thus there is a state in which there is no equilibrium, for where there is equilibrium there is no interaction, no cause and effect, only uniformity and stillness, a state in which "nothing" happens, in which there is no power.
    But what does that explain, really, to remove the concept of the atom? How is the model improved by that? You still need a word for describing the phenomena that we perceive as motion from our prejudicial view, even if you call it "fluctuations of quanta"
    It seems silly to me.

now we aren't going to be able to understand physicality or causality in terms of classical physics; if there is no empty space, quanta can't move anywhere... where would they move... there is no room to move!

Consider our atmosphere in which what we as humans understand as empty space, there is in fact inumerable particles of matter with varying states of density. When you walk across a room, you are not a body traveling across empty space, but a denser form of matter pushing less dense matter out of its way. You would have a much harder time walking across a wall, but the only difference between the wall and the air (which is applicable to this exercise) is density and pressure. Thus you can use physics to understand motion where there is no empty space.

and also, simply because a specific quanta exhibits a change doesn't necessarily means it was 'effected' by another quanta to do so. hume is saying we can't logically assert something else caused the change. that B followed A doesn't mean A caused B, see.

That is true. There are many phenomena which we can't explain because we don't know yet. Perhaps we will need to invent an entirely new unit of measurement and an entirely new sensor to read it in order to understand what is there, but I could just as well spend my day wandering what it would be like to be a cat.
    However, wherever we can read a change, we can do our best to control all variables in order to find out why that change has occurred. If it does seem like the change was caused by nothing at all, if equilibrium became unbalance with no perceivable cause, then we'd need new physics.

so, without being able to move, or be effected, or even be a 'subject' in the first place, what does that leave but a radically different interpretation of the mechanistic world? i mean yeah, we see things move all the time... but how can we be certain this isn't just a sense prejudice?

Have I addressed this to your satisfaction?

you have to imagine a field of jam-packed quantum points of power... and they don't move... they just kinda 'breath', or pulsate, or expand and contract. and these actions don't effect those points surrounding the quantum that act this way. they're all doing the same thing. it's almost like what leibniz was describing in his monadology. weird man.

I can imagine that, using physics Smile
    We are all doing the same things, in a way, but our breath, pulse, expansion, contraction, our changes of state, our increase and decrease in pressure and density, all causes interaction, all causes transformation of energy.
    In fact, physics even allows for concepts such as dark matter and dark energy to account for all things we think of as empty space.
    Perhaps it would do us more good to teach physics in school as something other than spheres in an empty space. Perhaps to imagine it as an ocean would be more helpful. An ocean that is partly water, partly gelatin, partly frozen... but I digress.

the problem i'm having is with the claim that there is no motion. i can't believe that; sense prejudice or not. power cannot be expressed unless there is motion.. since that's what work is. now i have to entertain the notion that quantum don't 'have' power... don't have potential to move... because they are always moving, are always kinetic. they are power... they don't have it; there is never a state where they could produce more or less power because this would involve a causality; energy would have to be transferred, and this transference would be an instance of hume's induction fallacy. we couldn't say that quanta A was effected by quanta B when quanta B 'passed' its energy. it doesn't pass it... it just radiates it or something. man i don't fuckin' know. this is why i hate doing metaphysics.

Where is this claim that there is no motion? I think that is a misunderstanding.

i'm gonna go do something else now.

Me too.
    Barracuda
    Barracuda

Post by Barracuda Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:21 am

"Sure, you can abolish the notion of a thing, or an atom, and imagine the universe as "quanta" and have that word be a placeholder for a mysterious and unknown constituent element, but you still need to acknowledge that there is interaction in the quanta, and thus there is a state in which there is no equilibrium, for where there is equilibrium there is no interaction, no cause and effect, only uniformity and stillness, a state in which "nothing" happens, in which there is no power."

Pretty good stuff there Witchdoctor.
    Barracuda
    Barracuda

Post by Barracuda Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:24 am

Perhaps you will understand. Or do. The concept of self-valuing, the logical formula representing a quantum of WtP and thus also the ground to identity-based logic (formal logic and math) eliminates our power to deceive ourselves through the schizoid belief that a concept is not a thing and that "thing" isn't a concept.

This belief has cleft the integrity of humanity ever since Sokrates "knew that he knew nothing".
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:28 am

witchdoctor wrote:I'll grant you that, but it is one thing to conceive of a new model, and it is another thing to use the current model incorrectly

but i'm not using a physics model incorrectly because i'm not using a physics model at all. we're talking metaphysics here, and metaphysical principles and concepts are not necessarily derived from physical experiences; they can be a prior, or prior to experience. causality, for instance. it's not something we can experience, rather we infer that it happens, and we do so because we find logical consistency in a specific metaphysical theory that addresses it. seewadahmean? and radical empiricsm; in fact we really can't prove an external world exists because all we have knowledge of is our experiences. now in spite of how ridiculous this sounds, it's real metaphysics and presents a real question. as much as i'd like to take your position... and it's a good, solid, common sense position to take... we're in metaphysical mode right now so we have to go with it.

yeah i understand all the basic physical science.

jakob. go practice falling down. i'll be there in a minute.
    Barracuda
    Barracuda

Post by Barracuda Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:34 am

"yeah i understand all the basic physical science."

Ah. Then, how did you manage to get Relativity to compute with QM?

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:36 am

Barracuda
    Barracuda

Post by Barracuda Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 am

Now Im triggered.
    Who was right then, Einstein or Bohr?
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:40 am

i don't manage to get special or general relativity to compute with quantum physics/mechanics because i'm a philosopher, not a physicist.

if a grand unified theory is discovered, it won't be by a philosopher... i pretty sure. although it is philosophical thinking and imagination that can lead a physicist to extraordinary discoveries (einstein day dreaming in a classroom), those discoveries enter the territory of the sciences once a theory is created. you don't test a theory with philosophy. you test it with hard evidence.
    Barracuda
    Barracuda

Post by Barracuda Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:40 am

Hahaha.

Plato of course thought that God is a set of Dongeons and Dragons dice.

Barracuda
    Barracuda

Post by Barracuda Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:42 am

Zoot, that is exactly what Ive done. Make that computation.

Now tell me all about how you know what it really is that I've done, even though you don't understand it, and how I don't.

Go on then.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:44 am

Barracuda wrote:Who was right then, Einstein or Bohr?

Spinoza.
    Barracuda
    Barracuda

Post by Barracuda Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:01 am

Ive traced Einstein ad Bohr through Nietzsche and Heidegger, with a style that relates to Leibniz, and Ie deciphered the relation between the logical monad, and the empirical building blocks used for the measuring of causality, our "quanta".

Barracuda
    Barracuda

Post by Barracuda Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:06 am

Spinoza didn't resolve this particular issue. But he is indeed on to self-valuing. He calls it Conatus, but with him it is a property of a "the Whole" and it can thus only be known by virtue of this Whole. Meaning that it can't be known. This is also Einsteins perspective. And it gets you into trouble on the ground.
    witchdoctor
    witchdoctor

Post by witchdoctor Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:27 am

Barracuda wrote:Either you are a dummy or you pretend to be. Ive always thought its the latter.

Sometimes, you reveal some spark. Not often enough though.

You really seem to think moronity is "cool".

Maybe it is where you are from.

The world is so diverse.

Ok, Ill give up on you.

If you aim to be a teacher, it would benefit you, as well as your students, to be less condescending.

stimmyabby who I think is some user on tumblr wrote:Sometimes people use "respect" to mean "treating someone like a person" and sometimes people use "respect" to mean "treating someone like an authority", and sometimes people who are used to being treated like an authority say "If you won't respect me I won't respect you", and they mean "If you won't treat me like an authority I won't treat you like a person", and they think they're being fair but they aren't, and it's not okay.
    witchdoctor
    witchdoctor

Post by witchdoctor Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:34 am

Barracuda wrote:Perhaps you will understand. Or do. The concept of self-valuing, the logical formula representing a quantum of WtP and thus also the ground to identity-based logic (formal logic and math) eliminates our power to deceive ourselves through the schizoid belief that a concept is not a thing and that "thing" isn't a concept.

This belief has cleft the integrity of humanity ever since Sokrates "knew that he knew nothing".

Perhaps I will understand, but it will take more than that Smile
    witchdoctor
    witchdoctor

Post by witchdoctor Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:41 am

Zoot Allures wrote:we're in metaphysical mode right now so we have to go with it.

Ok. Let's take it from the top.
    You say that things don't have power, they are power.
    I say things are energy, and what we call power is the potential or ability to transform, i.e. disequilibrium.

Are we even disagreeing? By replacing your terminology with mine, are you still able to arrive at your conclusion?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:01 am