The Pathos of Distance

THIS IS AN ANNOYING LOG-IN POP UP JUST FOR YOU

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Pathos of Distance

THIS IS AN ANNOYING LOG-IN POP UP JUST FOR YOU

The Pathos of Distance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pathos of Distance

- Agile Minds in Perpetuum -

Iambiguous; A Mundane Ironist

Zoot Allures

Iambiguous; A Mundane Ironist Empty Iambiguous; A Mundane Ironist

Post by Zoot Allures Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:58 pm

i love this gig and i woulda done it myself if he hadn't already. so, i'm gonna be posting his entries here. some of the cynicism is really funny, really entertaining in a kind of existentially innocuous way. it will be imported from this thread at ILP:

http://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=179454&p=2693005#p2693005

so sad today

that's not the clitoris: a love story

Got wood?

mistakes sexy hair for emotional depth

We should all be so lucky.

i never know what i'm feeling because i don't want to

What's wanting to got to do with it?

i want to sleep through everything except when it's time to sleep and then i want to be online

A perfect world, in other words.

i can fantasize about two people who are wrong for me at the same time

That's two less than I can.

i never liked myself: a love story

You don't get this, do you?
    Zoot Allures

Iambiguous; A Mundane Ironist Empty Re: Iambiguous; A Mundane Ironist

Post by Zoot Allures Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:29 pm

i've found iambiguous's perfect match. check her out...

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Existential Comics

I have a dream. A dream of more horsepower and greater torque in a dependable pickup truck.

Nope, never had that one.

Sometimes I feel like my life is spiraling into inescapable despair, anxiety, and hopelessness over the meaninglessness of my brief, absurd existence. But then it turns out I was just hungry.

Or needed to masturbate.

I guess what I'm saying is that my favorite thing about sports is seeing collosal fuck ups in a single moment ruin years and years of hard work and dedication.

Providing no one actually breaks their neck?

Now that we have more perspective, we can see that the Mayan calendar wasn't counting down to the end of the world in 2012, it was counting down to Men in Black 3.

Either that or this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2283336/

I hate postmodernism. Why? Well, first of all, I'm pretty sure postmodernists stole my car.

Could it really come down to something as simple as that?

These damn millennials are always on their phones. You shouldn't spend your whole life staring at a little screen. You should spent it at home, alone, thinking about death.

Or at least encouraging others to think about it.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:41 pm

T.S. Eliot

If you haven’t the strength to impose your own terms upon life, then you must accept the terms it offers you.

That sounds about right.

Footfalls echo in the memory, down the passage we did not take, towards the door we never opened, into the rose garden.

The rose garden if you're lucky.

Whatever you think, be sure it is what you think; whatever you want, be sure that is what you want; whatever you feel, be sure that is what you feel.

Mom said to Adolph.

What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from.

Keep telling yourself that until one day you actually know what it means.

Some editors are failed writers, but so are most writers.

I know that I am. And now so do you.

Books. Cats. Life is good.

Or: Films. Dogs. Life is even better.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:42 pm

http://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=188756&p=2697643#p2697643

biggy wrote:And the beauty of philosophy for so many here [on this thread] revolves precisely around the fact that if they know they have succeeded in accomplishing their task then the task is accomplished.

Not only that, but the demonstration of this lies in the knowledge of it itself.

Go ahead, see if you can take this knowledge they impart and make it applicable to the lives that you live from day to day.

Come back here and tell us how that is working out for you.

And, for folks like me, especially when the knowledge that you claim to know comes into conflict with the knowledge that others claim to know. And then this becomes all entangled in value judgments that are equally out of whack.

How was this resolved?

it isn't, and can't be. but one doesn't need to know what the 'truth' is, to wager a good guess about what they think it might be, and act accordingly.

i've done that... am doing that. in fact, i've got contingency plans and everything; i've worked out a theory of life that makes me right, even if it's wrong. don't ask. you'd never understand.

so what you gotta do, biggy, is stop playing the fool and pretending to be interested in what you know they can't justify, explain, or defend. i mean it's one thing to find joy in proving a philosopher wrong (especially an objectivist), and another thing to find obsessive pleasure in pestering them to provide proof for something they can't provide proof for.

this is what i mean: YOU know they can't defend themselves, so why would you keep encouraging them to explain themselves? it's like asking someone who believes in santa claus to prove santa claus exists. they can't, man, because he doesn't exist.

stop pretending to be curious and 'open' to their ideas. focus on refuting them directly, instead of leaving open the possibility that they might be right if only they can explain themselves. sheesh.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:08 am