The Pathos of Distance

THIS IS AN ANNOYING LOG-IN POP UP JUST FOR YOU

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Pathos of Distance

THIS IS AN ANNOYING LOG-IN POP UP JUST FOR YOU

The Pathos of Distance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pathos of Distance

- Agile Minds in Perpetuum -

3 posters

Memorable Quotes

Zoot Allures

Memorable Quotes Empty Memorable Quotes

Post by Zoot Allures Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:01 am

“I sat and smoked my cigar until I lapsed into thought. “You are going on,” I said to myself, “to become an old man, without being anything and without really undertaking to do anything. Wherever you look about you . . . you see the many benefactors of the age who know how to benefit mankind by making life easier and easier, some by railways, others by omnibuses and steamboats, others by the telegraph, others by easily apprehended compendiums and short recitals of everything worth knowing, and finally the true benefactors of the age who make spiritual existence in virtue of thought easier and easier, yet more and more significant. And what are you doing?” . . . [S]uddenly this thought flashed through my mind: “You must do something, but inasmuch as with your limited capacities it will be impossible to make anything easier than it has become, you must undertake to make something harder.” This notion pleased me immensely. . . . I conceived it as my task to create difficulties everywhere.”

― Søren Kierkegaard, Concluding Unscientific Postscript to Philosophical Fragments, Volume 1
    Zoot Allures

Memorable Quotes Empty Re: Memorable Quotes

Post by Zoot Allures Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:17 pm

1. put headphones on

2. click: Elephant Talk

3. begin reading

The aim of the book is to set a limit to thought, or rather - not to thought, but to the expression of thoughts: for in order to be able to set a limit to thought, we should have to find both sides of the limit thinkable (i.e. we should have to be able to think what cannot be thought). It will therefore only be in language that the limit can be set, and what lies on the other side of the limit will simply be nonsense.

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it.

When philosophers use a word--"knowledge," "being," "object," "I," "proposition," "name"--and try to grasp the essence of the thing, one must always ask oneself: is the word ever actually used in this way in the language-game which is its original home?--What we do is to bring words back from their metaphysical to their everyday use.

One of the most misleading representational techniques in our language is the use of the word 'I.'

Philosophy aims at the logical clarification of thoughts. Philosophy is not a body of doctrine but an activity. A philosophical work consists essentially of elucidations. Philosophy does not result in 'philosophical propositions', but rather in the clarification of propositions. Without philosophy thoughts are, as it were, cloudy and indistinct: its task is to make them clear and to give them sharp boundaries.

What I give is the morphology of the use of an expression. I show that it has kinds of uses of which you had not dreamed. In philosophy one feels forced to look at a concept in a certain way. What I do is suggest, or even invent, other ways of looking at it. I suggest possibilities of which you had not previously thought. You thought that there was one possibility, or only two at most. But I made you think of others. Furthermore, I made you see that it was absurd to expect the concept to conform to those narrow possibilities. Thus your mental cramp is relieved, and you are free to look around the field of use of the expression and to describe the different kinds of uses of it.

Logic pervades the world: the limits of the world are also its limits. So we cannot say in logic, "The world has this in it, and this, but not that." For that would appear to presuppose that we were excluding certain possibilities, and this cannot be the case, since it would require that logic should go beyond the limits of the world; for only in that way could it view those limits from the other side as well. We cannot think what we cannot think; so what we cannot think we cannot say either.

People are deeply imbedded in philosophical, i.e., grammatical confusions. And to free them presupposes pulling them out of the immensely manifold connections they are caught up in.

Your questions refer to words; so I have to talk about words.
    You say: The point isn't the word, but its meaning, and you think of the meaning as a thing of the same kind as the word, though also different from the word. Here the word, there the meaning.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:23 pm

"Instruction begins when you, the teacher, learn from the learner; put yourself in his place so that you may understand . . . what he learns and the way he understands it."- Kierkegaard
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:49 pm

What the age needs is not a genius, Friedrich— it has had geniuses enough, but a martyr, who in order to teach men to obey would himself be obedient unto death. What the age needs is awakening. And therefore someday, not only my writings but my whole life, all the intriguing mystery of the machine will be studied and studied. I never forget how God helps me and it is therefore my last wish that everything may be to His honour.- Kierkegaard

You have your way, Søren. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.- Nietzsche

Umm... fellas, the mind of God is all the mentality that is scattered over space and time, the diffused consciousness that animates the world. Just sayin'.- Spinoza

Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:33 am

"imagine looking infinitely far into the past. time stretches backward for all eternity. if time infinitely stretches backward, everything that can happen will have already happened. any 'now' will have been before- every moment has already occurred- and if infinity stretches backward for eternity, it must also stretch forward for eternity. every moment recurs eternally, forever, into infinity. let this thought take possession of you and it will change you forever."- Nietzsche, from Nietzsche Wept (fiction)
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:39 am

"there is nothing noble, sublime, profound, delicate, tasteful or even decent in the character of democratic art. only the intense, changing, crude, vulgar and immediate, commercially prepackaged superficial fantasy of modernity"- author unknown
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:46 am

"virtue and vice are empty words. in a universe that exists for no ultimate purpose, all values must be rejected. actions are either taken or not taken, consequences incurred or not incurred, and no meaning can be found in any of it."

quote from a book by Dean Koontz called Intensity, which i'm sure is a horrible show... if only because  John C. McGinley plays Vess.

the book was a great generic serial killer flick, though.

"Obsessed with the "intensity" of any particular experience, sensory and existential, Vess styles himself as a "homicidal adventurer", and has killed continually since childhood."
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:48 pm

Nietzsche wrote:... to believe in the expiatory power of punishment and then in the obliterating power of forgiveness; both prejudices are deceptive- punishment does not expiate, it either breaks the punished or provokes and enrages him. forgiveness does not extinguish, what is done cannot be undone.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:47 am

Lao Tzu wrote:It's the empty space in the rice bowl that creates it's utility.

this is brilliant insight. what he saying is, because the bowl is empty, we can put rice in it, which makes the bowl useful.

see this is why eastern philosophy is superior to western. western philosopher's have never had such a profound understanding of things.
    Zoot Allures

Post by Zoot Allures Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:51 am

God: If I turn away from the look as the occasion of concrete proof [of my being seen and therefore of my objectivity] and seek to think emptily of the infinite indistinction of the human presence and to unify it under the concept of the infinite subject which is never an object, then I obtain a purely formal notion which refers to an infinite series of mystic experiences of the presence of the Other, the notion of God as the omnipresent, infinite subject for whom I exist. I thereby posit the eternity of my being-as-object and so perpetuate my shame...By the same stroke I realize my object-state in the absolute and hypostasize it. The position of God is accompanied by a reification of my objectness. Or better yet, I posit my being-an-object-for-God as more real than my For-itself; I exist alienated and I cause myself to learn from outside what I must be. This is the origin of fear before God.

There is a fundamental human project which aims at breaking away from individuality, casting off being-for-itself, and fusing in an absolute totalization of itself and of all others. This effort at recovering the human totality can not take place without positing the existence of a Third, who is on principle distinct from humanity and in whose eyes humanity is wholly object. The concept of this unrealizable Third is identical with that of the being-who-looks-at and who can never be looked-at, that is, with the idea of God. But God is radical absence, and the effort to realize humanity as ours is forever renewed and forever results in failure. When I say "we" and mean humanity, I am framing an empty concept, a pure indication of a possible extension of the ordinary usage of the 'Us', the indication of a certain concrete experience to be undergone in the presence of the absolute Third, that is, God. The concepts of humanity and God are correlative and mutually inclusive.

The value that presides over the fundamental project of the for-itself is the in-and-for-itself, that is, the ideal of a consciousness which would be the foundation of its own being-in-itself. If this ideal is called God, the fundamental project of human reality is to become God. God represents the supreme end of man's transcendence and therefore the permanent limit in terms of which man makes known to himself what he is. To be a man means to reach toward being God. Or if you prefer, man fundamentally is the desire to be God.

- Dr. Justus Streller, To Freedom Condemned/ A Guide To Sartre's Philosophy.
    Z13

Post by Z13 Sun May 27, 2018 5:27 pm

The penetration of everyday life by the marvelous—the creation of "situations"—belongs to the "material bodily principle", and to the imagination, and to the living fabric of the present... The individual who realizes this immediacy can widen the circle of pleasure to some extent simply by waking from the hypnosis of the "Spooks" (as Stirner called all abstractions); and yet more can be accomplished by "crime"; and still more by the doubling of the Self in sexuality. From Stirner's "Union of Self-Owning Ones" we proceed to Nietzsche's circle of "Free Spirits" and thence to Charles Fourier's "Passional Series", doubling and redoubling ourselves even as the Other multiplies itself in the eros of the group. - Hakim bey
    Z13

Post by Z13 Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:13 pm

Z13

Post by Z13 Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:33 am

Z13

Post by Z13 Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:13 pm

promethean75

Post by promethean75 Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:31 pm

In Zettel, Wittgenstein asks the reader to consider two philosophers, one an idealist, the other a realist, who are raising their children to share their philosophical beliefs. An idealist holds that physical objects only exist in so far as they are perceived; talk of unperceived physical objects is merely a means to making predictions about future observations. The realist holds that physical objects exist independently of our capacity to perceive them. Wittgenstein suggests that both philosophers will teach their children how to use vocabulary about physical objects in exactly the same way, except, perhaps, that one child will be taught to say, "Physical objects exist independently of our perceptions," and the other will be taught to deny this. If this is the only difference between the two children, says Wittgenstein, "Won't the difference be one only of battle-cry?" (Wittgenstein, 1967, 74). For Wittgenstein, to understand the use of a word, in the manner that is relevant to philosophy, it is necessary to understand the role that sentences involving that word play in our lives. His claim in this case is that those sentences which philosophers take to express substantive statements about realism and idealism play no role whatsoever in our lives. The metaphysical sentences have no use, and so there is nothing to be understood—they are strings of words without a meaning. Wittgenstein's hope is that once we see that, in a given metaphysical dispute, both sides are divided by nothing more than their different battle cries, both parties will realize that there is nothing to fight about and so give up fighting.
    promethean75

Post by promethean75 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 am

about the ILP hip-hop artists, carleas wrote:You guys are whack.

wack like a big mac
    without the special sauce
    and like a boss
    carle aus
    write mad beats and spit ciphers
    like his name's michelle pfeiffer

but it's not, cuz she don't rap
    what rhymes with cipher?
    i can't believe this crap

nothing rhymes with that word
    in the whole
    english language!
    now i feel stupid, silly
    a wackass rapper
    filled with anguish

maybe i should've said rick ross
    but i didn't

maybe i should rewrite this whole thing
    it ain't hittin'

anyway

why's dat bitch got a name like that?
    all up in my syllables
    and messin' up my rap

now there's no way i can ever fix it
    i had my chance
    i did
    but i missed it

it's my fault that i used it
    i knew the rule, but abused it
    don't NEVER use a word that cain't rhyme
    damn, this whole joint was a big waste of time

fuck it man
    i digress
    and bow out gracefully

i'm MC Ashtray
    on post
    waiting faithfully
    promethean75

Post by promethean75 Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:56 am

"Anyone who denies the law of noncontradiction should be beaten and burned until he admits that to be beaten is not the same as not to be beaten, and to be burned is not the same as not to be burned." - Avicenna (The Philosopher and Logician; On How to Keep it Gangsta )
    promethean75

Post by promethean75 Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:40 am

promethean75

Post by promethean75 Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:00 pm

promethean75

Post by promethean75 Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:58 pm

"... to all you scumbag sickening evil whore of satan liberals.... the day of redemption is at hand! repent... and thou shall be saved-dhhh... - jakob
    promethean75

Post by promethean75 Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:46 pm

"HAIL MOTHERFUCKERS... HAILLLL!!!!!!" - fixed cross

Calm the fuck down dude... and why are you telling us, anyway? Anybody is gonna give you the same advice; locate a parking garage to park your vehicle in and find some shelter... or a football helmet... and you'll make it through this.
    promethean75

Post by promethean75 Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:42 pm

nietzsche wrote:The So-called "Real Reality”. When the poet depicts the various callings — such as those of the warrior, the silk-weaver, the sailor — he feigns to know all these things thoroughly, to be an expert. Even in the exposition of human actions and destinies he behaves as if he had been present at the spinning of the whole web of existence. In so far he is an impostor. He practises his frauds on pure ignoramuses, and that is why he succeeds. They praise him for his deep, genuine knowledge, and lead him finally into the delusion that he really knows as much as the individual experts and creators, yes, even as the great world-spinners themselves. In the end, the impostor becomes honest, and actually believes in his own sincerity. Emotional people say to his very face that he has the "higher" truth and sincerity — for they are weary of reality for the time being, and accept the poetic dream as a pleasant relaxation and a night's rest for head and heart. The visions of the dream now appear to them of more value, because, as has been said, they find them more beneficial, and mankind has always held that what is apparently of more value is more true, more real. All that is generally called reality, the poets, conscious of this power, proceed with intention to disparage and to distort into the uncertain, the illusory, the spurious, the impure, the sinful, sorrowful, and deceitful. They make use of all doubts about the limits of knowledge, of all sceptical excesses, in order to spread over everything the rumpled veil of uncertainty. For they desire that when this darkening process is complete their wizardry and soul-magic may be accepted without hesitation as the path to "true truth" and "real reality”.
    promethean75

Post by promethean75 Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:50 am

Wolfi Landstreicher wrote:... the original debates over illegalism were therefore not about whether anarchists should take illegal actions – it was assumed that all anarchists did – but about whether individual reappropriation was a legitimate tactic – and for an egoist this is not even a question; the only question is: “What can I get away with?” In any case, anarchists, and for that matter, all free-spirited, unsubmissive individuals, will inevitably break laws. When laws exist, my choice to live on my own terms will make me an outlaw, because I will ignore law except as an obstacle to avoid.

https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/apio-ludd-the-anarchist-as-outlaw
    promethean75

Post by promethean75 Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:56 pm

"some forum posters say more in two days than others say in two months, and in half the space" - promethean75, On the Nature of the Philosophy Forum, 2.c p.124
    promethean75

Post by promethean75 Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:40 pm

"The presence of an ethical symbol in a proposition adds nothing to its factual content. Thus if I say to someone, "You acted wrongly in stealing that money," I am not stating anything more than if I had simply said, "You stole that money." In adding that this action is wrong I am not making any further statement about it. I am simply evincing my moral disapproval of it. It is as if I had said, "You stole that money," in a peculiar tone of horror, or written it with the addition of some special exclamation marks. If now I generalise my previous statement and say, "Stealing money is wrong," I produce a sentence that has no factual meaning—that is, expresses no proposition that can be either true or false. … I am merely expressing certain moral sentiments" - A.J. Ayer

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content